Ardha Matsyendrasa is also called Half Lord of the Pisces pose. The asana was coined after the yogi named Matsyendranath. In Sanskrit, the meaning of Ardha Matsyendrasana is Ardha refers to half of anything; likewise, ‘Matsya’ refers to Pisces or Fishes. Another name of this asana is Vakrasana, which means twisted asana in English (Half Spinal Twist Pose). There are various variations of this position. The Ardha Matsyendrasana is among the basic asanas used in the Hatha Yoga asana.
How to perform?
- First, sit comfortably in an erect position, by stretching your legs. You must make sure that the feet in put together. Likewise, the spine also should be utterly erect without bending a little bit.
- Secondly, you have to twist your left leg in such a way that the resole of the left foot must lie next to the right hip. You must also keep the left leg hard-pressed by stretching as much as you like to do.
- After that put your right leg after the left knee by simply putting over to the knee.
- Thirdly, bend the neck, waist, and shoulders circularly, start looking at the right part of the body mainly to the right shoulder. You have to make sure that your spine is made erect throughout the yoga.
- There are numerous ways to stretch your arms. To accomplish it you need to put the right hand behind you and while doing that you have to make sure to put the left hand on the right knee.
- For a couple of seconds, you need to hold the pose. It is usually recommended to hold the pose for not less than 30 and not more than 60 seconds. Continue to breathe deeply.
- While doing such a thing, you have to stretch and exhale rhythmically. Slowly, you have to release your right hand followed by your waist, chest, and finally the neck. Continue to relax breathe calmly and sit in a straight position.
- Perform the activities repeatedly, continue to exhale, and perform the position every day to reap the benefits.
Benefits of Half Spinal Twist Pose
- There are umpteen of benefits of Ardha Matsyendrasana. Some of the tremendous benefits of the Ardha Matsyendrasana are:
- The asanas assist to make your spine elastic. The spinal cord functions are improved if the asanas are practiced regularly.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana assists you to elongate the muscles to one side making the body lopsided; likewise, you will also compress the muscles on the other side.
- The excessive stiffness of the muscles and back pain subsides.
- The patients suffering from the slipped disc is alleviated.
- The pancreas and other organs can be stimulated by performing the Ardha Matsyendrasana. Ultimately, patients suffering from diabetes gets relieved.
- Some hormones like adrenalin and bile are synchronized by Ardha Matsyendrasana.
- The digestive juices of the digestive system of the abdominal organs when get a twist massage performs at an optimal level.
- Stress hormone secretion is reduced and the unnecessary tension trapped in the back portion is alleviated.
- The oxygen level in the lungs as well as the oxygen concentration in the blood increases.
- The detoxification of the internal organs is possible due to the continuous practice of the yoga asana.
- The infection in the urinary system also gets cured.
- The menstrual disorders that plague female gets cured.
- The flow of oxygen is possible and most of the body gets oxygenated like the pelvic area, thus improves the health of the reproductive system and the urinary system of the practitioners.
- The secretion of adrenalin and bile is pumped up.