Shavasana is composed of two words; shava mean dead body, asana mean body posture. In Shavasana body remains totally still like the dead body so it is also called as Shavasana (MRITASANA).
There is one story in Shiva Puran, that when Mahakali Devi was very uncontrolled during destruction of devils then the former guru of Yoga, LORD SHIVA himself did Shavasana below the foot of kali. So by that story this asana is also called as shivasana. As birth is truth, death is yet another truth. Lord Shiva all creatures in this universe do relaxation, for that all of us do shavasana knowingly or unknowingly. So Shavasana is natural in itself.
There is very great importance of relaxation in yoga. The more one does asanas the more he/ she needs relaxation. There are many asanas for relaxation, Shashankasana, Sukhasana Shashankasana, Makarasana, Matsyakridasana, Balasana, Jestikasana, Adwasana, Savasana, etc. Among them the most easy and efficient is Shavasana. All aged group people can do this.
Sthiram sukham asanam this yog sutra can be easily understood by doing savasana. It is done in lying down position which is very natural and common for all. Although this is the favorite asana for yoga practioners, this is also famous for other general people. For the higher practice of Shavasana YOGANIDRA is done whose extreme development, utility and research is left.
Advantages of Shavasana
- Body becomes very relaxed and fresh.
- Releases stress, fatigue, depression and tension.
- All sorts of sorrow, pain, stress, blood pressure, heart diseases, insomnia, etc. can be cured.
- Different systems of body like respiratory, circular, nervous digestive, etc. get relaxed.
- If shavsana combine with anulom biloma pranayama helps to control blood pressure.
- This asana is very useful for pregnant women till there delivery.
- For women with menstrual imbalance shavasana is helpful to balance the cycle.
- It relaxes your whole body physically and mentally.
- Improves awareness which help you to keep in present moment.
- Calms the mind and improves mental health.
- Lie down on the floor with your back and keep legs in hip distance apart.
- Keep your head, neck and spine in a straight line.
- Put both hands at the side of your thighs, palms facing up with natural curl position.
- If needed you can arrange your dress, position, remove itching etc
- Now gently close the eyes.
- Be aware of your body: Try to be aware from your head to your toes one by one. This means you are consciously relaxing and being aware to your each part of the body. You can suggest yourself to relax your every part of body. Don’t move awareness ahead without relaxing particular part of the body. Your journey starts from crown of the head to toes of the feet or feet to head. You can repeat this practice 1 to 3 times in one round of shavasana.
- Be aware of your Pranic (life force of breath) body: On each inhalation feel yourare taking pure life force and with every exhalation feel that your body is totally detoxified through breath. All negative thoughts, negative energy and negative habits are release out. Also you can chant oum or other some specific mantra with every inhalation and exhalation. Also you can calm your mind by counting number of breathing by opposite side like 100, 99, 98………..3,2,1
- Combined breath to powerful mantra So-Ham or your guru mantra which has given by your own guru (teacher).
- Be aware of your mind: Just observe your mind without any conflict and judgment. Do not participate to your thoughts and do not go against thoughts. Just your awareness is remaining for your every thought.
- Let go everything– thoughts, desire, ego, stress, anger, fear, dream and many more emotion.
- Comfortably lie down as you wish with full of awareness, ten to thirty minute is enough.
This need to be pointed, while coming back from Shavasana;
- Remain with eyes closed.
- Take 2/3 long, deep breath.
- Suggest your selves I am coming back from relaxation.
- Slowly move your fingers, toes, and head.
- Stretch your whole body.
- Now join both of your hands in Namaskar Mudra and rub your hands till it gets heat.
- Then put your palms above your closed eyes but avoid pressing.
- Feel the heat of your hands.
- Now slowly release the hands and slowly open the eyelids seeing the palms. There is said to see your own hand in the morning when you get up as there is presence of gods and goddess in your own hands. Stay seeing your palm. Then remove your hands and keep gazing (TRATAKA) in that space which is called Bhochari Mudra in yoga.
- Slowly turn to your left side and sit up in any comfortable asana.
SHAVASANA is now completed.
As per your will, but generally 10 to 20 minutes is recommended. After every advance asana you can practice Shavasana as long as asana.
Physically, in your whole parts of your body, respiration, blood circulation.
Mentally in Agya Chakra (third eye chakra).
- Don’t do practice immediate after heavy meal.
- Don’t move body during practice.
- Remove all wallets, belt, clock, spectacle, mobile, etc.
- Loosen your tightness, in body like tie, belt, open socks……
- Avoid insects, dust, heavy sound, light, wind, closed room, fan etc.
- Sleeping is avoided, be totally conscious of your body.
- Never use very soft mat for Shavasana.
- If you feel distraction of mind or sleepy you can breathe a little bit faster and deeper and pay your attention in breath.
Yogasana is not done for conquering any medal neither done only for physical fitness. Its aim is higher than these in order to purify mind, soul with good health for prosperous, sustainable life and to experience the realms of SAMADHI. Different asanas are practised in different ways for various purposes. But this Shavasana is the only asana which should be done by all who practice all sorts of asanas & pranayam. Yoga has its own aim & panorama than other physical exercises. If we say about this asana, this is the only one reason that makes difference in between yoga and other exercises. It is not seen the relaxation asana like Shavasana .This is master pose in compare of other relaxation poses. On the end of practice of other asana If we do shavasana , it helps to energizes the energy. Actual calmness and peace cannot be gain as that of Shavasana. After doing yoga asana, if Shavasana (the relaxation asana) is not done then blood pressure increases or one can be seen aggressive like the practitioners of other exercises. Therefore, this asana is compulsory asana at the end of practice of yoga. The great modern century guru, the founder, lecturer of Active Meditation, Shree OSHO, RAJNISH, has also put Shavasana after each active meditation practice, so that the description of this asana is mind blowing.
Om Shanti ! Ahanti !! Shanti !!!