There are two types of major neti which are
- Jala Neti (nasal cleansing with water)
- Sutra Neti (nasal cleansing with thread)
The process of cleansing and purifying the nasal passage with the mild salted water using the pot (having a long spout on one side) is called Jala Neti. We should bend our head toward the right if we fixed the spout of the pot in the left nostril and wait for the water coming out from the next nostril. Again repeat the process from the right nostril. After completing this process the nostrils must be thoroughly dried by Vastrika breathing. Jala neti stimulates the nerve ending in the nose, removes mucus from nasal passages, cleans the nose and sinus cavities, thus helping in reliving allergies, sinuses, mild headache, migraine, memory loss etc.
Note: Kunjal kriya followed by jala neti
Neti can be done from the rubber as well as from the thread that is called Sutra neti. Slowly we pass the blunt end of the catheter or the thread in the nostril feeling each sensation it will go upward and heading towards the throats, with the help of two finger pull the catheter out gently rub or massage the channels smoothly. Then leaving the nostril part pulls it out from the mouth. Repeat the process with next nostril. Again repeat with the water neti at the end. Practice under the guidance of expert practitioners.
This practice cleanses the forehead, nose and throat and prevents cold, improves vision and catarrh.
Some of the benefits of Neti- jal/ rubber/ thread are:
- It removes all the mucus so if any bacteria, dirt or foreign matters are in contact is out.
- It helps to drain the sinus cavities so body natural mechanism against nasal infections like high fever, allergies, sinusitis and other respiratory complains such as sore throats, cough and inflammation of tonsils.
- It is beneficial for all problems associated with eyes such as flushing tears ducts, encouraging clear vision and gives sparkle to eyes.
- Neti is a cooling and soothing effect on the brain, drawing out the excessive heat helping for headaches, epilepsy migraines, hysteria, depression and mental tensions.
- It effects in clearing the third eye the Ajya chakra for the higher conscious state
- It is helpful for asthma and bronchitis reducing tendency of mouth breathing by freeing nostril mucus.
- It re-sensitizes the nose to the pollution of ingestion smoke
- It is helpful to maintain the good health of ears, eyes and throat.
- Removes stress and anxiety and head feel fresh and light.