Kapalabhati – Though many include Kapalabhati as a type pranayama, in the Hatha Yoga texts, it is classified under theShatkarmas. It is a powerful cleaning process where the air is forcefully expelled from the lungs, removing any stagnant carbon dioxide accumulated in the lower parts of the lungs. In kapalabhati, the exhalation is forceful while the inhalation is normal. This process is repeated few rounds. It is said to be a cure for many diseases.
Benefits of Kapalbhati
- It helps to regulate the breathing mechanism as make us prepare body and mind for advance practice of pranayamas.
- It purifies the nerves and the pranic channels.
- It helps to remove all the impurities of the body kapha doshas.
- It helps to remove abdominal fats as well as strengths the abdominal muscles.
- It gives a clear mind so that thoughts can be controlled.
- It cleans the cranial sinuses and can relieve cerebral thrombosis