Shankhaprakshalana (The process of cleansing entire digestive tract)
Sankhaprakshalana has vital role in yogic detoxification so we can say this is one of the major detox in yoga . Shanka Prakshalana evacuates and cleanses the intestines and whole digestive track from mouth to anus.
Drink 3/4 glass of lukewarm salt water quickly and then follow the six Asanas. Perform each asana eight times dynamically which are mention as sankhaprakshalana group of asana. Again drink 2 more glass of water then repeat the asanas. Repeat the process for third time if you wish to go toilet observe the bowel movement without straining. Again drink 2 glass of water and perform the each asanas eight times dynamically then check the bowl movement. After third or fourth cycle of Asana you will feel the bowl movement. After passing stools for first time, one will get easy. This asana helps to massage and flush the internal organs and whole the digestive track, as the water flows freely through the organs, squeezing out the toxic, mucus, bile etc. The faeces (stool) at the initial will be dark brown then slowly become clear once the stool is clear as if water then end the process. The initial stools is solid or hard, but afterwards it goes on getting more and more liquid and in the end, it is almost like water. After this process practice shavasana for 45 minutes then take special food Khichari.
Proper yoga clothing, yoga mat, blanket (to cover the body), small towel to wipe off the sweat, lemons, salt and lukewarm water, rice, mung dal, ghee.
Diet: During the practice we will be washing all the lubricants associated with the digestive tract along with the various juices so we need to have the preserved meal that is Khichari. Khichari is special meal for Shanka Prakshalana.
How to make Khichari?
Khichari should make with good quality rice and moong dal cooked with ghee (clarified butter). First of all Take one cups of Basmati white rice, one cup of grinded Mung Beans (Dal), one teaspoon Turmeric powder, one teaspoon Cumin seeds and little salt in a rice cooker, put three times the amount of water. Use more water than usual to cook Khichari, so that it becomes semi liquid. Mix 100 ml of clarified butter then cook about 30 min. The Khichari should be served hot. Then enjoy your Khichari. This food has the effect of providing a protective layer on the intestinal tract.
- One should has practice this master yogic detoxification under competence yoga guru.
- Enough Khichari must be taken even there is no hunger. Take your second meal after six hours of first meal.
- Khicheri should eaten about an hour of Shank Prakashalana.
- During the day seat in room temperature and avoid air- condition, hot sun exposure, sitting near fire, and journey out of the room, body must be keep warm to prevent chills and fever. Cover the body with blanket if necessary.
- Should take adequate rest without talking. Silence is more preferable. Avoid hard work, and exercise.
- Should not drink any water during the day and do not take any other food except Khichari.
- At least a week do not eat chemically processed food, synthetic, pungent, acidic non-vegetarian food -meat, fish and eggs. Avoid gas-forming foods, hot spices and carbonated drinks.
- Eat only easily digestible food, as the intestines are very sensitive after this practice.
- Should take pure and enough ghee which act as alubricant to coat the intestine walls, which has been washed out by Shankha Prakshalan.
- In order that peristalsis of the intestines is stimulated, it is advisable to practice Agnisara Kriya or Nauli each day till one week.
- It is perfectly normal that no bowel movement takes place for two or three days following the practice so do not worry about it.
- Shankha Prakshalana should be practiced at least twice a year. If it is possible you can perform four times a year in every three month interval.
- If you learn series of Sankha Prakshalana asana perfectly before the practice of Shaankha Prakshalana it will easier and would be more successful.
- Take light dinner on the previous day. Practice Shakha Prakshalan in empty stomach in the early morning.
- Should not perform the Shankha Prakshalan in bad weather like very cod, very hot, rainy, cloudy and windy etc.
How does Shankha Prakshalan work for cleansing?
There are five valves in our food passage. They are esophageal on the beginning of food pype, pyloric valve at the outlet of stomach, ileocaecal valve at the exit of small intestine, colon after the small intestine and anus. These five valve would be cleansed by these five yoga poses.
Salt has good impact in Shankha Prakshalan to balance acids and enzymes in our stomach. Salt is a very efficient to dissolve mucus, which help to wash the wall of intestine. It has a soothing effect on inflammation of wall of intestine and colon.
Benefits of Shankha Prakshalan
There are many benefits of Shankha Prakshalan among of them the main benefits of Shankha Prakshalana are as follows:
- It tones digestive system, liver, Kidney and associated organs.
- It strengthens the immune system, reduces excessive mucus and purifies the blood.
- It calms the body physically and mentally.
- It alleviates digestive problems such as indigestion, gases, acidity, constipation etc.
- It helps to eliminates allergies and skin disease.
- Prevent urine infection and formation of stones.
- Entire pranic body is recharged and get strength and stamina.
- Helps in weight control.
- Removes the excessive mucus and toxic that accumulated in digestive track.
- Purifies the blood and pranic channel (nadi).
Shanka Prakshalana should not be practiced if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, pregnancy, menstruation, strokes, stomach ulcer, colitis (inflammation of colon), weak person , age below 16 or above 60, weak kidneys, large gallstones, kidney stones, chronic diabetes, hernia etc.
Loghoo shankha Prakshalan (LSP) (Short intestinal wash) :
The word “laghu” means short or abbreviated, Shankha mean conch and Prakshalan mean cleansing so Loghoo Shankha Prakshalan (LSP) is cleansing of conch in short time and process. This is a shorter version of the full shankha Prakshalana technique. Take two liter of warm salty water. Drink two/ three glass of salty warm water perform the dynamically 8 times every five asana of Shankha Prakshalan asanas, When you perform five asana eight time dynamically then it becomes one complete cycle. Like this way repeat three complete cycles then check there is bowl movement or not but do not strain. If there is no motion immediately it will be later. Blood pressure high patient can benefited this process using lemon in spite of salt. One moderate size of lemon mix with one liter of lukewarm water then performs the Shankha Prakshalana series of asana.
Benefits of Laghoo Shankha Prakshalan:
This is one of the quick and natural treatments for constipation patient. If the bowel moment is not active in first and second attempt do not stop your practice within few days it cures the constipation and bowels moment will be easy. This is quick and short method which is less complicated and less effective than full Shankha Prakshalana but all other benefits are very similar to full Shankha Prakshalan. Those who could not participate the full Shankha Prakshalan they can be benefited by this Laghoo Shankha Prakshalan. This is good for regular practice. This process is better to develop efficiency of digestive system.
Laghu Shanka Prakshalana should not be practiced if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, pregnancy, menstruation, strokes, stomach ulcer, hernia etc.
Series of Shankha Prakshalan Asana.
Tadasana (Palm Tree Pose)
Stand erect keeping the distance of feet about shoulder’s width. Interlock the fingers and rise up both hands over the head, and keep palms facing to the sky. Keep hand straight and arm close to ear. Try to stand on toes and stretch the entire body upwards hold for few second. Then, exhale and step your entire feet on the ground and put the palm over the head. Repeat in the same way for 8 times.
- Keep your hands straight.
- Keep hands parallel in neck distance
Tiryak Tadasana (Swaying Palm tree pose)
Stand erect keeping the distance of feet about shoulder’s width. Interlock the fingers and take a deep breath then rise up both hands over the head, and keep palms facing to the sky. Keep hand straight and arm close to ear. Then stretch entire body upwards holds for few second. Then, exhale and lean to the right side as much as possible then inhale and back to center then with deep exhale lean towards the left direction as much as possible then back to the center. This is one complete cycle repeat.
- Keep your hands straight.
- Keep hands parallel in neck distance.
Kati Chakrasana (Waist twisting pose)
Stand erect then inhale and lifts your both hand on shoulder distance parallel to each other. Bend the right arm and put it on the left shoulder. Then bend the left arm put the palm on the right side of the waist. Look at right heel of the leg.
-Keep your both legs parallel.
-Twist the upper trunk of the body above the waist.
Breathing: Inhale while hands are rising
Exhale in twisting position. Hold out in final condition and inhale in when you back to normal condition.
Udar akarshan asana (Abdominal stretch pose)
Squat on the ground in hip distance apart. Fold your right leg and put knee on the ground and heel on the side of right thigh. Push the left knee rightward with left hand and keep right hand over the right knee .Twist your upper trunk and neck on the left side. Feel pressure in side of lower abdomen. Repeat from next direction.
Do not uplift the right heel.
Breathing: Inhale, in squatting position. Exhale while twisting.
Tiryak Bhujangasana (Twisting Cobra)
Lie down by keeping face down. Keep feet in hips width apart and flat on the ground with the toes point backwards. Place your palms on the side of chest. Inhale and raise your head, shoulders and chest from the ground till your arms become straight. Exhale, bending the right arm in the elbow and keeping the left arm straight, turn to the left in the waist. Whilst, stretching the neck leftwards as far as possible, try to see the right heel. Inhale and back to straight neck position and repeat from next direction.
This is only 1 cycle repeat 8 cycles.
- Keep your leg in hip distance apart.
- Look over the shoulder.
- Keep the toes flat and pointing backward.
For better performance of asana and better result you can prepare Shannkha Prakshalana group of asana before few days. Here is the schedule for pre practice of Shankha Prakshalan asana’s before one week.
- 1stday : Two cycles
- 2ndday: Three cycles
- 3rdday: Four cycles
- 4thday: Six cycles
- 5thday: Eight cycles
- 6thday: Ten cycles
- 7thday: Master cleansing